SCOTTISH HARP SOCIETY OF AMERICA TRAVEL SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
Deadline for Submission: 1 October 2021 11:59pm EDT
The prestigious SHSA Travel Scholarship is awarded to the Journeyman OR Master competitor at the US National Scottish Harp ChampionshipTM whose performance and scholarship application – in the eyes of the judges – show achievement and serious interest in further study of Scottish harp.
This scholarship is to be used toward a study trip to Scotland or to a recognized Scottish harp course in the United States or Canada.
Competitors wishing to compete for the award must complete the application and write a short essay outlining their proposed use of the scholarship. Scholarship applications may be obtained on-line or through the Competition Chair. Applicants must be current members in good standing of SHSA.
The scholarship travel must be executed within 18 months of award. If the first place winner is unable to make use of the scholarship, it will be awarded to the runner-up. The scholarship may not be awarded to an individual more than once.
The scholarship recipient will be required to:
- Publish on the SHSA Travel Scholarship Blog
- submit an article with photographs about their trip and what they learned (with revisions as required by the Editor) for the Kilt and Harp
- and publish a harp arrangement in the Kilt & Harp
within six months of completion of travel. Reimbursement of the scholarship amount will be provided after completion of all requirements.
Competitors wishing to compete for the scholarship must submit the information described below.
Scholarship Application Form
Please complete and sign the competition form and include it in the application submission package. You can download the form here.
Please include the following information in the cover letter –
- Your intention to compete, your skill level, and a brief introduction to your application
- Address, City, State, Zip Code
- Home phone, Cell phone
- E-mail Address
- Skill level (Journeyman/Master)
- Include the following statement with the Applicant’s Signature and date, “I understand that if I win, I will be required to submit an article and publish a harp arrangement in the Kilt & Harp as well as publishing blog entries while on my study trip.”
Please include the following information. You are welcome to use as many pages as you would like.
- Description of your harp(s) and who made it/them
- Your teacher’s name(s) and how long you have studied with them, and what schools you have attended
- Listing of your concerts, performances and awards
- Description of your singing and/or other instruments played
- List your goals as a harper playing Scottish music
- A short paragraph on your proposed use of the scholarship
Please return completed essay by e-mail at least 4 weeks prior to the national competition to the Competition Chair